Sunday, June 1, 2014

Waterproof cameras: which is better for the price, Panasonic or Nikon?

I'm trying to decide between two waterproof point-and-shoot cameras:

PANASONIC LUMIX DMC-TS5 BLUE + BUNDLE $320
Shape is easiest and most comfortable to hold, but not as streamlined and would be bulkier in pocket. Heavier than the Nikons. I was told this one is 'the best' by two different sales people.
http://bit.ly/1hn9Hor

NIKON COOLPIX AW110 + BUNDLE SPECIAL $260
This one is last year's model on clearance and includes Photoshop Elements 11.
Feels lighter and has a slimmer design that would be easier to slip in and out of my pocket.
http://bit.ly/1mX9fvU

My purpose would be 99% land use, especially landscapes, nature, outdoors, but also people, indoors, night pics, etc. I may use when traveling, hiking, trekking, snorkeling or doing other activities where the waterproof/rugged features as well as GPS would be handy. I don't plan on diving for needing deep underwater pics, but who knows, I am in the future. Camera must be easy to use as I am usually active and only have one hand free when taking photos.

I'd like good quality pictures because I share them online and often print them.

So, do I get this year's Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5, touted as 'the best waterproof camera', or save some money and get last year's Nikon Coolpix AW110, the 'second best waterproof camera'?

Read more: Waterproof cameras: which is better for the price, Panasonic or Nikon?